I know, I know…who needs another blog about pop culture, media and general nerdery? Eh well, one more won’t hurt, right?
I am known to my friends as someone who speaks her mind. I am the type of person who either really likes something or really hates it. Even if I really hate something, that doesn’t mean I won’t waste my time consuming it. (Case in point – I read all four of the “Twilight” books just so that I could argue intelligently with those who love them. And yes, I know the word “intelligently” is not applicable in this scenario.)
I’ve been online since 1994, and I have had many opportunities to stick my foot in my mouth. In fact, I am rather good at making people wish they had never met me, and very good at creating enemies. How does this happen? Why, I just state my opinion! Didn’t you know that if you hold an opinion that is different from you friend’s, you are allowed to cite Godwin’s Law and flounce?
Here’s a few of the opinions that have led to bannings/enemies for life:
– NaNoWriMo is an exercise in futility
– “Twilight” is a poorly written crapfest
– Steven Page is a better singer than Ed Robertson (of Barenaked Ladies)
– Elijah Wood is a douchebag hipster
– Sarah Palin makes inflammatory remarks (see what I did there?)
Now, you may agree or disagree with me but I think you’ll be interested in what I have to say.
I’ll give you a teeny bit of background about me so you know where I’m coming from. I grew up in Phoenix, AZ. Since I was not an outdoorsy type of kid, I spent my childhood and teen years as a shut-in, either reading books, watching TV or listening to music.
My biggest pop culture influences are:
– Barry Manilow (DON’T JUDGE ME! He writes the motherfucking songs, dammit!)
– Duran Duran (I am actually writing a book about my adventures as a Duran Duran fan and hanger-on)
– Pioneer porn such as Little House on the Prairie and the Betsy-Tacy books
– The Kids in the Hall (esp. Dave Foley)
– Lord of the Rings (and an unhealthy obsession with Elijah Wood that led to ruination in my life)
And of course, The Beatles. If you say you weren’t influenced by The Beatles, you are a liar. Even if you hate them, it influenced you in some way.
I hope you’ll join me on my adventures! I will post about what I like, what I hate, what I’m doing. My new hometown is Austin, Texas, and there is a lot going on here.
Oh and if you haven’t figured it out yet, I love parentheticals. DEAL WITH IT.